TO PLAY CRICKET IS EASY. TO UNDERSTAND THE GAME TAKES TIME.
Gary Walton wrote in his book “BEYOND WINNING”, that Philosopher Coaches have ten characteristics that contribute to their success. These characteristics are listed below and can be applied to the coaching of all cricketers.
1. Committed to individual integrity, values, and personal growth.
2. Profound thinkers who see themselves as educators, not just coaches.
3. Well educated(formally and informally) in a liberal arts tradition.
4. Long term commitment to their athletes and their institution
5. Willing to experiment with new ideas.
6. Value the coach-player relationship, winning aside.
7. Understand and appreciate human nature.
8. Love their sport and work.
9. Honest and strong in character.
10. Human and therefore imperfect
Photo courtesy of Getty Images